Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > "Rock-Dodgers" and other coasters, built until 1979, upto 2999 GT and Coastal Shipping Companies > Coastal Shipping Companies - Past and Present Day/ Kümo-Reedereien - Gestern und Heute > German Shipping Companies > Schulte & Bruns - Emden

Old 30-03-15, 08:44 AM

Default LYNN Imo 6826157

LYNN,1968, - Schulte & Bruns KG, ( on charter to Wash Bay Linie) DEU Bremen. 498 grt x Schulte & Bruns,Emden.

Subsequent History:90 DORADO - 94 MARINA III - 95 MARINA I - 00 MARINA - 01 LYNN

Disposal Data:foundered in tow 34.49N/32.08E 7.9.01 [Vassiliko Bay-Sousaki, copper]

* Wash Bay Linie : Washbay-Linie GmbH (Henry Stahl GmbH) - The company was located in Hamburg and was established by merchant Henry Stahl(1896-1969). He began his carrer by chartering Germany?s oldest merchant vessel, the PIONIER. In 1952 he also chartered the Dutch ship LYDIA which made its first voyage to King's Lynn, which was located at British Washbay, which became the new name of the company since then. Stahl established a continuous line between Hamburg and King's Lynn in 1953 and one year later the company was subscripted into Hamburg's register of commerce. The line was continued together with ARGO shipping company and ended in 1968. In 1966 one of the sons, Peter Stahl, overtook the company, he began a 7-years partnership with Schulte& Bruns and in 1968 the first ro-lo ship, the HENRY STAHL began its service.
In 1986 another new built ro-lo ship, the ALSTER RAPID, was added to the fleet, the suffix RAPID was added due to the model name of a sports car of the company's main customer, SKODA Automobiles.
In 1992 Volkswagen became owner of SKODA and Washbay lost its most important customer. The losses couldn't be compensated. Peter Stahl meanwhile was aged 65 and resigned and the last two ships, the company went into bankruptcy in 1994 and finally both ro-lo ships got lost by forced sale in Rotterdam in 1995.

* here as MARINA III : http://coasters-remembered.net/showt...hlight=6826157

Rick Cox collection,unknown photographer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LYNN 1968 A.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	34154