Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts

Go Back   Coasters Remembered The On Line Community For Coastal Shipping Enthusiasts > For our members - Für unsere Mitglieder > Suggestions & "Feed-back"

Old 13-04-16, 04:39 AM

Default Future of CR

Reference is made to Dierk's message of 26th February about this subject.

Good day Dierk a.o.,

I think you ought to continue the way anticipated and also to honour your two friends who both have been involved from the start.

I agree with you that it is impossible to change host and/or provider as the risk is that you may lose some or all the data.
I had several problems with vBulletin and the reason for this was that some of their key staff left the company whilst their successors could not cope with the day to day technical problems.
So I also am stuck with them. Siteground is our hosting agency and we always get prompt answers from them. I am actually very happy with both organisations now and the biggest bonus is when you click on the old thumbnail photos up to 2014, these will now automatically display an excellent size on the screen and more photos can be shown by using the arrows.
Such a wonderful improvement.

Talking about the cost, then please note I pay 1200 USD per year to Siteground and few other minor costs. I am happy with that as all hobbies cost money
I realise that the contributions/postings in CR have decreased and same happened to my maritime site.
One of the reasons may be the fact that we find so many similar maritime sites around and that some sort of saturation takes place.
I am still very mad with David (Flyer) that he suddenly pulled the plug without any warnings. I am so glad that I made copies of most of my 5 years with David.s Oceaniashipping (the name I suggested to him...!!!).
So all I have to do is “copy and paste” the information in many cases.

With regard to CR, then I think you ought to remove some of the subjects and shorten others.

Your idea with from A to Z is excellent I find.

Following I would totally remove:
Announcementrs (use Site information instead)
Links showing videos
Introduction for old and new members
Suggestions and feedback
Searching for shipmates
Ships I sailed on
My albums
Picture of the day, perhaps not…?
Maritime Arts
Models
Picture requests
Unknowns and Information, put these two together.
This and That, all items except Harbours/docks
Containers feeders and non feeders, put them together under AZ
General Cargo, same, put together.

You have too many subjects and some can easily be combined into another name altogether.
Above is just an idea Dierk and by the way I am also going to remove a few items on my site.
All that would look a lot better as the site is too messy, that is my personal feeling.
Have a think about it and if you want more help regarding say naming new or combined subjects, then let me know, hopefully we both can put on our thinking hat and make some improvements.
Best regards,
Jan
Old 24-04-16, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Moin, moin Jan, thank you very much for your reply.

Some of your suggestions can be applied now, like removing

Searching for shipmates

My albums

as well as combining other forum sections as mentioned.

But still "in the dark" what kind of other changes are wanted by our members. Would be really glad if we get the opinions of other members,
am still waiting

Hope that we`ll be joined in our "brainstorming"

re our alphabetical order system, it was already aplied in the "old" format of Coasters-remembered Forum, when I joined some years ago, therefor credit is due to the "founding fathers" of CR, Robbie and his friends
Old 08-05-16, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hendrik View Post
I am still very mad with David (Flyer) that he suddenly pulled the plug without any warnings. I am so glad that I made copies of most of my 5 years with David.s Oceaniashipping (the name I suggested to him...!!!).
Oh dear, I'm so sad that you still feel that way.
I did try to fix it with help from others on another Forum, but sadly nothing could be done.
Not the place to discuss this and disappointed that you thought it necessary to raise the issue.
I wish you luck with your Australasian Shipping Forum and hope it will continue. You won't see me there as I don't think I'll be very welcome.
---------------
Dierk, you do a wonderful job with CR and I probably don't visit or post as much as I should - a recent relocation has seen me very busy with work commitments.
Facebook has no appeal to me and never has. Forums such as this are far more appealing and easy to navigate around.
It's not possible to please all the people all the time and can't suggest any further improvements already made or suggested by others.
Keep up the good work.
Old 27-05-16, 09:56 AM

Have been away for nearly 2 months so could not comment.
You are right David that this is not the right channel to further discuss the issue, so I will send you a PM next couple of days.
Meanwhile I have no problems at all that you join my site, you are most welcome.
I am fortunate that I have some IT people within the family who helped me setting it up and administer same as without such assistance it is quite an undertaking, both you David and Dierk would agree.

Jan
Old 09-08-17, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierk Bauer View Post
Moin, moin Jan, thank you very much for your reply.

Some of your suggestions can be applied now, like removing

as well as combining other forum sections as mentioned.
Then how do new members such as myself introduce ourselves to you guys so we're not considered bilge scum?
Old 09-08-17, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Hi C. Kem,
thank you very much for your proposal

Did recreate the section "Introduction for old and new members again in order that you and everyone who likes to introce themselves can use it.

You`re more than welcome using it in order not to be considered "bilge scum"
Old 10-08-17, 09:47 AM

Thank you, sir!